Friday 25 July 2014

What Alia hearts in a man!

Reflecting on her busy year, the 2 States star opens up about honing her craft, what attracts her to a man and ‘good friend’ Arjun Kapoor.
femina

Ask Alia Bhatt for one word to describe her life these days and the answer is “hectic”. “But it’s all good,” she says. In the past 12 months, freshman Bhatt has filmed three films—Imtiaz Ali’s Highway, Karan Johar and Sajid Nadiadwala’s joint venture 2 States and Karan Johar’s production Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania (still in the making). “So many things happened this year. If I weren’t an actress, I wouldn’t have any other job,” says Alia who turned 21 on March 15. The actor talks about her life to Femina.

Was there one moment this year where you said, “Wow, I didn’t know I’m capable of this”?

I have discovered a lot about myself in the past year, especially while working on Highway. I underwent a lot of physical, emotional and mental stress while filming it—and it made me realise what I’m capable of as an artiste. I was unsure of myself when Imtiaz [Ali] signed me up, but now I feel it’s not at all a bad thing. It kept me on my toes and I have learnt a lot.

What’s the most important lesson you have learnt?
I have learnt a lot about the craft. Now I know what it means to get into the skin of my character. I’ve understood how to take it all in from my surroundings and channel it through my performance.

You have this image as a really nice girl…are you as nice as people think you are?
Thanks [smiles]. Yes, I am...I hope so. Yesterday Imtiaz complimented me for being nice.

When you see people who have had amazing debuts but have faded out of public memory, do you ever worry for yourself?

I worry for myself all the time. It’s a good thing because I value the work I’m doing and I don’t take anything for granted. When I’m unsure of myself, I turn to my sister Shaheen (Bhatt). I’ve this terrible habit of asking for advice and then while the other person is trying to help, I say, ‘Forget it’. A lot of people get irritated by that but my sister understands it and is okay with it.
femina
Have you ever listed things that you want to accomplish for yourself?
I try not to do that. I have a certain goal but I don’t list down things for me to achieve because I feel that the best things happen when you least expect them.

If not acting, what job would you like to have?
Maybe a singer…but then that’s in the family. Both my parents and even my sister are good singers.

What’s the craziest rumour you have heard about yourself?
That I fake my age. Apparently, I’m 23 and not 20.

When you have a bad day, what inspires you?
Aah...when I have a bad day, it’s a really bad day. And nothing can inspire or make me feel better. I just let it pass.

Not even a perfect romantic evening with your boyfriend?
[Smiles] No fancy candlelight dinners for me. I’m okay with eating a burger at home while watching my favourite film, Love Actually. I can watch it any number of times.

What do you find most attractive in a man…

For me a man with a great sense of humour is very attractive.

.. and Arjun Kapoor?
Yes, he has a sense of humour. He makes me laugh all the time. I didn’t know him at all...I must have met him just once or twice before I started filming 2 States. Today he is a close friend.

On Koffee With Karan you indicated that you would like to marry Ranbir Kapoor. Have you met him after the show went on air?
Of course I met him, but we don’t discuss what we have said on Koffee.
Are guys afraid to ask you out because you’re Mahesh Bhatt’s daughter?

I don’t go out to clubs or places where I could be asked out. The last date I went out on was around mid-last year.

Your skin always glows. What’s your daily routine?
I travel a lot and my skin tends to get oily. So I use a Garnier face wash to keep it clean and then apply a Clinique moisturiser. I drink a lot of water. My mum makes sure I drink lots of vegetable juices. Exercising is very important too. I do a combination of cardiovascular exercises and weight training five times a week. I also practice yoga.

Any childhood traditions you still follow?
Yes, I have to take a break with my family. We have been going to London for our annual family vacation. I like to eat at Carluccio’s, Chipotle, Wagamama and Ping Pong; and shop on Bond Street.

What are the five things you grab so that you feel at home wherever you go?
A small pillow, moisturising cream, comfortable pyjamas, socks and a book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Dont Spam